Tuesday, March 13, 2018

A Yellow Ihagee Exacta Varex VX w/ A.Schacht Travegon f/3.5 35mm lens

As I previously mentioned in my first post, I was bored one day and decided to photograph my small collection of antique and vintage cameras.  I didn't want to just take pictures of the cameras like the millions of other photos of cameras found everywhere else on the web..  No, I wanted to do something different.  I wanted to create beautiful, interesting and artistic photographs of my vintage cameras, so I set up my lights and put a yellow flower next to my Ihagee Exacta Varex VX and proceeded to photograph this beautiful work of art.  Yes, I think the Ihagee Exacta Varex VX is a work of art.
Yellow Ihagee Exacta Varex VX, v4.1, 1951 w/ A.Schacht Travegon f/3.5 35mm lens
Yellow Ihagee Exacta Varex VX, v4.1, 1951 w/ A.Schacht Travegon f/3.5 35mm lens

This yellow Ihagee Exacta Varex VX w/ A.Schacht Travegon f/3.5 35mm lens was the first one I photographed, and you can buy a print of my photo here.    I loved how it turned out and continued to photograph more cameras from my vintage camera collection, and found it very rewarding.

I once saw a photo of a yellow Argus camera and my first reaction was "I want one.. it's so cute".  Yes, I like yellow, and so, when I saw this yellow Ihagee Exacta Varex VX listed on eBay, I bought it, because it looks so cool and interesting to me... I never saw anything like this before, and it was yellow.    Unfortunately, it was listed without a lens, a common practice for fleabayers.  Virtually every single seller on eBay that exclusively sells photography related stuff cannabalizes the cameras, selling the lenses and bodies separately.  I don't know about you, but I freaking hate that... and yes, I still want a yellow Argus.

So, right after I clicked the buy it now button and paid for it, I went searching for an Exacta mount lens for it.  At the time, I was more interested in having a complete camera than actually using the camera to take photographs with it, because the camera was listed "as is, for parts or repair" and I wasn't sure what issues it may have once it arrived, and lenses can be expensive, and being a poor person, I looked for the cheapest possible Exacta mount lens I could find and found the A.Schacht Travegon f/3.5 35mm lens for a buy it now price of only $5.    Unfortunately it's a poor condition lens with heavy pitting on the front glass element, which is fine with me for the moment, because I don't like my cameras not having lenses on them, so, hopefully someday I'll find a nice lens for my Ihagee Exacta Varex VX, because it is in complete working condition.   The only flaw, other than the lens, would be the yellow leatherette, as you can see in the photo, it has little bubbles in it.  I'm convinced it might be due to someone replacing the original leatherette with the yellow one.

Anyway, when I can afford to, I will shop for a lens and get some film and try some shooting with this.  As of this posting, it is my favorite camera in my collection of antique and vintage cameras.   I love the look of many of the East German and Soviet cameras of the cold war era.  I find them to be the most interesting and visually appealing.  

Vintage Ihagee Exacta Varex VX ad, 1952
Vintage Ihagee Exacta Varex VX ad, 1952
Before I wrote this post, I spent some time reading about the history of not only the Exacta Varex VX, but of Ihagee Dreseden itself and I find it all fascinating...  While browsing around I found this vintage advertisement for the Ihagee Exacta Varex VX

Since I mentioned Argus, my next post will be my Argus C3/

No comments:

Post a Comment